[aprssig] Re: Radio Recommendation

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Mon Jul 19 12:40:27 EDT 2004

> I'm not sure I'm following you on your comment about not adding an amp.
> Care to expand or clarify?

Oh man, not this debate again...

The Pocket Tracker has no receive capability, and no way to avoid
collisions.  Keeping it at 100 mW means it's not as likely to step on other
users.  The debate is over just how much difference lack of RX makes due to
hidden transmitter problems, and the legal question of how much effort you
need to make to avoid interference, whether that sort of interference is an
expected part of this type of operation, and so on.

I think it's safe to say that if you're running a 'deaf' tracker on 144.39,
it's a good idea not to run any more power than absolutely necessary to hit
the digi.

Scott
N1VG