[aprssig] Re: PL 100

KC2MMi kc2mmi at verizon.net
Sun Jul 18 17:16:43 EDT 2004

I don't see the Motorola trademark being a difference. If the mark is still
in effect, then only a product made or licensed by Motorola would be allowed
to use it. So, is every radio manufacturer that claims to be using PL tones
paying Motorola for the use of the term, when they could just say "selective
tones" and not pay the license fee?

And even that doesn't explain why the whole industry uses the term PL for tx
only, and CTCSS for rx only. If I'm transmitting a PL tone, someone else
needs to be receiving a PL tone to use it. But the industry says they
receive CTCSS...meaning PL. Or vice versa.

Makes no sense at all, trademark usage or otherwise.