[aprssig] RE: aprssig Digest, Vol 6, Issue 35

Komljanec Family komljanec at sympatico.ca
Fri Dec 31 23:51:01 EST 2004

You didn't mention the model of Honda generator. Is this a true alternator
machine? Honda have a line of "inverter" generators that actually provide AC
output through an inverter.  Inverters have to be designed very carefully to
not produce "birdies" or RF noise.  This is the common issue with many of
the inexpensive inverters available on the market, especially the "modified
sine wave" variety.  Problem is exactly what you describe, below 100 MHz.

The first switch mode inverters had this issue.   Complaining about it were
all the boaters who had interference with TV CHs 2 to 6.  Higher quality
inverters came out with improved RF noise control. I've had good luck with
the Statpower (now Xantrex) ProSine.   Buyer beware.

TonyK
VE3TK

Message: 22