[aprssig] Quieting Honda Generator (was) Portable Ops from 12vvia 115 VAC

Ray McKnight shortsheep at worldnet.att.net
Fri Dec 31 23:43:04 EST 2004

I've been doing a lot of generator research myself.
Something interesting you might not be aware of, is
That almost all of these smaller generators do not
Operate in the traditional manner, producing 120vAC
Directly by turning a generating coil.  The generators
You are talking about actually produce 12vDC, then feed
This to a DC-AC inverter to get 120vAC.  So the noise
You are experiencing on the AC output is most likely due
To the inverter, and I would suspect most of these inverters
Are not true sine-wave inverters (the Honda 2000-watt seems
To be though because it is marketed for use with "sensitive
Electronic equipment").  I would suspect that many produce
A modified square wave, and are therefore very likely to
Cause problems with some types of equipment (especially
Things requiring a good sine wave for timing purposes, and
Some laptop power supplies don't seem to like it much either).
If your generator has a 12vDC outlet (and isn't electric start!)
It probably falls into this category.

For my money, I never operate any electronics directly off
Generator power, I always have a UPS to protect it.  One way
You might eliminate your "noise" is by trying a good UPS with
Isolation or preferably even an "inline" UPS like used on
Computer servers which always supply AC from the UPS's inverter
(which is a high-quality sine wave output).  But be aware that
most small, consumer-grade UPS's offer no line isolation or filtering.

If you've got a scope, take a look at the power produced by the generator
and you'll probably be surprised.  If you actually need or can easily use
12vDC, maybe you can just pull that off your Honda and eliminate its
inverter problems altogether.  Just a thought.