[aprssig] APRS Monitoring and activity

Ray McKnight shortsheep at worldnet.att.net
Fri Dec 31 20:15:40 EST 2004

Jim, I don't want to stir up a bee hive, but I too have been
Snooping on all the published packet/node frequencies, especially for the
Telpac stations listed for my area.  My results?  So far, of 8 listed as an
active Telpac Node, none seem to actually exist.

The Telpac node list seems to be kept updated quite regularly, so I wondered
why I can't hear or access ANY in my area.  I've come to a conclusion, based

On how Winlink's web site seems to work.  There is an "online registration"
where someone who's downloaded the Telpac software can apply for a
registration number.  That registration number isn't actually necessary, but
can assist when the automated process of tracking active nodes is finally
implemented.  I thought that the registration form was to notify Winlink
administrators that you were intending to operate a Telpac node and to add
your data to the list, which isn't necessarily 100% accurate.  It seems many
folks are using the online registration form to get a number, merely to
evaluate the software, without any intentions of installing a node.

So we are likely placing a lot of non-existent nodes on our APRS screens, as
objects, to no benefit to the end user.  I'm not suggesting you or anyone
else be responsible for verify these nodes, but at least at a local level
someone probably should verify it prior to placing a Winlink object out
there.

I was so disappointed in not finding ANY Telpac node locally, that I
Am considering putting one up.  I just don't have a 24/7 Internet
connection, and need to find a reasonably priced plan, of the only 2-3
Providers in my area.  It would be nice to know if in fact a Telpac node
Is beneficial to most users, and would be used, as this area is rich with
PBBS's, TCP/IP and NOS nodes already.

Any thoughts - Jim, Dick APRSWest?

Ray - WB3ABN
Kingston, WA