[Possible Spam]Re: [aprssig] winlink

Spider spider at rivcom.net
Fri Dec 31 14:18:59 EST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Bruninga" <bruninga at usna.edu>
To: <aprssig at lists.tapr.org>; <spider at rivcom.net>
Sent: Friday, December 31, 2004 9:26 AM
Subject: [Possible Spam]Re: [aprssig] winlink

> Regarding WinLINK local Objects on APRS:

> 1) Its local info, therefore it should be locally generated.
>   Having it generated somwehere else on the planet, through
>   the WinLINK system, then to firenet,

It does not have to go to the APRS-IS, that is the choice of the APRS-IS
server operator.

> 2) Being derived from a list instead of actual activity is
>    missleading.

*******Again, this List, in the near future, will be near real time.*******
If the station is not active they will automatically not be on the
list...standard time outs apply.
>From a server standpoint, it is better to pull from a database rather than
having individual connects to servers.
Having individuals gate this stuff to RF so that is enters the IS is not
reliable and will be spotty without any question in my mind.

The near real time list will prove to be better at determining whether a
node is up and running than a station just sending out a
beacon. Your method you suggest, will make it unmanageable.  Right now, the
data is there on FireNet.  II means that station registered a telpac node.
If an Igate wants to gate it to RF, then they can.  If the APRS servers want
it, Pete has showed them how to do it effectively.  If they do not want to,
they do not have to
worry about it.

Also now you'll create more double objects going to the APRS-IS when it is
not necessary to do so.

> 4) If you have to use GridSquares instaed of callsigns as a
>    kludge to make all of #1 above work, then maybe we just need
>    to work on a better way from the ground up?

It's what we have to work with.  The data provided did not give coordinates.
We really need coordinates of stations.
Callsigns on APRS and WL2K can be the same, thus causing major problems for
APRS.  For example, WA6OFT-6 is one thing on APRS and
WA6OFT-6 is a node on WL2K.  This is what we used at first and obviously,
there are problems with that.

> 5) Not using the callsign for the object robs the 85% of APRS
>    mobiles from getting the info they would need to actually
>    use it.

Why?   I see the ones I gate just fine.