[aprssig] winlink

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Dec 31 11:26:48 EST 2004

Regarding WinLINK local Objects on APRS:

I may not be understanding all the nuances, but generally,
 I dont like feeding data from internet lists to RF for several reasons.
This is not criticism.  I'm just giving some observations:

1) Its local info, therefore it should be locally generated.
   Having it generated somwehere else on the planet, through
   the WinLINK system, then to firenet, then to APRS, then
   to an IGate then to RF after special settings all along the
   way does not seem to be in keeping with KISS.
2) Being derived from a list instead of actual activity is
    missleading.  Of the 12 WinLINK nodes in my
    area, only 1 was really on the air.
3) Its totally dependent on an IGate and its settings.  And
    many IGates are unreliable (though some are very reliable).

4) If you have to use GridSquares instaed of callsigns as a
    kludge to make all of #1 above work, then maybe we just need
    to work on a better way from the ground up?

5) Not using the callsign for the object robs the 85% of APRS
    mobiles from getting the info they would need to actually
    use it.  And it is the mobile, portable users that is the prime
    anticipated user of this service.   I guess you can put only
    the call and Freq in the first 20 byes to solve this.

>From what you say, I guess, you are saying that IGates can
filter on Grid Square?  And so Grid Square is needed.

Hummh.  I'd rather that local APRS knowledgible people in an
area, who know what works and what doesnt and who know
what assets cover what area, would put a simple WinLINK
Object Beacon in the nearest DIGI that has the same
coverage as the WinLINK station and keep the whole thing
local and a DIRECT packet so that it only hits those people
that can use it.

The IGate shotgun approach is "easy" but I think will rarely
be efficiently placing the object in the optimum location
for the coverage of each WinLINK station.
Bob