[aprssig] Portable Ops from 12v via 115 VAC

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Wed Dec 29 11:11:08 EST 2004

>YES, for *transfering* the power, over a long distance,
>the higher voltage is better...

For example, each of these can deliver 12.6v at 20 amps:
from a 13.8V car battery(+engine) system:

A) 500' of #18 lamp type zip cord at 115VAC w/inverter
B) 25'  of #10

Not only do you get 20 times further, but  the 115 VAC zip cord
and the regulated 13.8 VDC supply will deliver the 20 amps
at the original 13.8 V without the "brown-out" of the DC
system under load.

Yes, you need 24 amps from the Engine to get the
20 amps at the load, but the ability to go 20 times
further away is worth it when needed.

Oh, and 300' of lamp cord takes up only about as much
space under your seat as a 25' conventional "extension cord".
The difference is the conventional extension cord is 70%
plastic for physical protection and is considered "safe"
even in the hands of idiots.  Lamp cord in this app should not be
used except under controlled conditions or far away from idiots.

That's why I'd put a 3 amp fuse in it to make sure some idiot
does not try to use it for a space heater or a chain saw or
something...

Bob