[aprssig] Parallel UHF APRS level-4 node system.

John Denison kd5you at houston.rr.com
Tue Dec 28 14:36:11 EST 2004

Icom has a system called the D-STAR which operates at 128k on 1.2 and 10
GHz. I've just started getting into packet, but from a newbie point of
view, I wonder why 1200 baud is still being used. We left 1200 baud
behind years ago in computer modems, so why is ham radio still lingering
behind? If high speed data occurs on wireless routers at 2.4 GHz, then
there is no reason why we can't meet or exceed that standard with our
own implementations.

The reason why 220 and 1.2 are more expensive is because they are so
rare. There isn't an interest large enough to justify manufacturing more
of this equipment, and at the same time the expense prevents the
interest from growing. Both ADI and Alinco have 220 MHz mobiles, a few
HT's that have low power 220 MHz, and maybe two mobiles that are 1.2
GHz. If I remember correctly Kenwood has a tri-bander model that can
accomodate a 1.2 GHz module, but this radio without the module isn't
cheap. It's much more cost effective to either buy 2 meter and/or 70 cm,
or use something already owned. I am working on my APRS set up, and I
thought about buying a Kenwood TH-D700. I have an extra 2 meter HT that
works nicely for APRS, so that was in my mind the best way to go.

What I would hope for is more standardization among the manufacturers of
commercial ham equipment. Recently several manufacturers of ham radio
have installed the 6 pin mini-din plug for packet use. This is a great
idea because it seems like non-sense to have 100 different cables to fit
300 radios. I ordered cables for my HT and for my Icom mobile at
www.packetradio.com. I understand that there are still so many different
radio out there with different plugs, and the long list of cables won't
go away soon, but at least it is one step to making ham radio more
effecient.

73's
John
KD5YOU