[aprssig] More thoughts on Connected Packet

Spider spider at rivcom.net
Tue Dec 28 13:39:21 EST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Vodall" <wa7nwp at jnos.org>
Sent: Tuesday, December 28, 2004 11:24 AM
Subject: [aprssig] More thoughts on Connected Packet

> The resergence in connected mode packet is called Winlink2k.
>
> Far from perfect(*) but it's showing some incredible activity and, for
> better or
> worse, has even been adopted by the ARRL/ARES as the way to go.
>
> It's an excellent mix of Internet and Amateur technology much like APRS
> but
> for real Email messages instead of one line Instant Messages.

If you think about it, Email is really a secondary use of WinLink.  WinLink
is nothing more than telnet connections to BBS's in a sense.  You do not
have to use EMAIL with WinLink.  Most all the standard BBS commands work
just fine
with a connection to a TelPac node. SMTP email option is certainly there and
opens the door for real EMCOMM communications.  We used Winlink in the AZ
State drill and it worked without flaw.
APRS hams should really look into this and help build a Telpac node network
(not all on the same damn frequency) so that anywhere we might go, we can
get email via RF on VHF.  The HF part is already there.
Here is the current list of TelPac Nodes:
http://www.winlink.org/status/TelpacEx.aspx
You can also see these nodes via APRS on FireNet and this will soon be near
real time.

Jim, WA6OFT