[aprssig] Conected Packet

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Tue Dec 28 11:00:53 EST 2004

It's not just a matter of communications.  In fact, that's probably the easy
part.  The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center monitored the quake and tried to
warn people, even going through the State department, but no one knew who to
contact.  Even if they did get through to anyone, what would they do?  The
public needs to be educated, and there have to be response plans in place.
If you've got a couple of hams running around the beach with megaphones
shouting that the end of the world is coming, no one's going to pay much
attention to them.

That's not to say packet's not useful in an emergency.  Just don't look for
technology to solve human and political problems.

Scott
N1VG