[aprssig] Power level ?

Chris Rose kb8uih at sbcglobal.net
Sat Dec 25 13:31:59 EST 2004

Hello,
Looks like you have done some homework here. The
kenwoods have 5, 10, and 50 watt ranges.  The problems
folks will probably have is to make the choice between
mid and high power when on the road.  I use the 10
watt setting where I am.  It is enough as there are
two digis in my area of travel that get most of my
packets.  I wish there were two more but that is a
story for next spring when I may have another digi on
line.

Merry Christmas,
Chris
KB8UIH

--- Mark Earle <wa2mct at mearle.com> wrote:

> I don't know about the Kenwoods. My experience is:
>
> 2-5 W = OK for closer in events, perhaps a 2-8 mile
> radius area of interest.
>
> 12-15 W = good metro coverage, if there are a few
> high stations or
> digi/digis available.
>
> 25 W = what I routinely run in my mobile, since when
> I wish to be tracked a
> I am normally 15 or more miles from low RELAY
> stations and 25-30 miles away
> from DIGIS.
>
> Beyond 25, it's sort of diminishing returns. You
> only gain 3db to go to 50,
> and so on.
>
> At 05:30 PM 12/21/2004 -0500, William McKeehan
> wrote:
>  >What is the typical power level used by mobile
> trackers with APRS (including
>  >the Kenwoods)?
>  >
>  >--