[aprssig] Power level ?

Mark Earle wa2mct at mearle.com
Tue Dec 21 18:09:51 EST 2004

I don't know about the Kenwoods. My experience is:

2-5 W = OK for closer in events, perhaps a 2-8 mile radius area of interest.

12-15 W = good metro coverage, if there are a few high stations or
digi/digis available.

25 W = what I routinely run in my mobile, since when I wish to be tracked a
I am normally 15 or more miles from low RELAY stations and 25-30 miles away
from DIGIS.

Beyond 25, it's sort of diminishing returns. You only gain 3db to go to 50,
and so on.