[aprssig] Snowbird Country! Says no to WIDEn-N

dick at kb7zva.com dick at kb7zva.com
Fri Dec 24 10:35:58 EST 2004

Hi all,

'Snowbirds' are winter visitors that enjoy our mild winter climate here in Yuma.
Our 60k population climbs to around 350k in the winter months. Yuma per capita has
more licensed hams than any city in the US.

As of last night, KB7ZZA-1 (BLACK Mtn. digipeater) outside Yuma AZ. now supports the following params:

BLT 1 EVERY 00:30:00 START 00:00:00
BLT 2 EVERY 00:30:00 START 00:10:00
BLT 3 EVERY 01:00:00 START 00:20:00
BLT 4 EVERY 01:00:00 START 00:30:00

LTP 1 APN383
LTP 2 APN383
LTP 3 APN383 VIA WIDE
LTP 4 APN383 VIA WIDE,WIDE

UIDIGI ON RELAY,WIDE,WIDE2-2,WIDE3-3
UIFLOOD 8LNK,30,NOID
UITRACE AZ,29

8LNKn-N covers the I-8 mobile corridor (east/west) from Gila Bend to San Diego, approximately 235 miles of I-8. Notice that WIDE2-2 and WIDE3-3 only get digipeated once.

This has reduced APRS traffic on RF in Yuma, from 180 RF stations heard to 50-60. Most traffic was coming from L.A., Phoenix and San Diego, outside our local network. 6 Igates function beautifully for city-city comms:

W9IF, San Diego CA
N6EX-3, L.os Angeles CA
KB7ZVA-1, Yuma AZ
KD7MOG-1, Phoenix AZ
WA6OFT, Parker, AZ.
KE7XO-6, Las Vegas NV

Other Igates show in these areas, but don't seem to be configured correctly. Example... The Tucson Igate hears some local traffic but is not fully bidirectional.

Merry Christmas!

Dick, KB7ZVA
APRSWest Tier 2 Network
http://aprswest.com