[aprssig] LinkN-N for dummies

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Dec 23 10:42:40 EST 2004

Wes,

Yes, why not just put a disclamer at the top of the page
saying

Notes:
1) "Short interstate LINKn-N systems are generally not needed.
The intent of the LINKn-N system is to cover the long haul
corridor's of interstate communications and population densities
as an alternative to WIDEn-N flooding in all directions.  Not
simply to have all interstates have LINKn-N systems

2) Not every digi along an interstate needs to be part of the
LINKn-N system, only enough to help packets propogate
linearly.  We don't need saturation coverage, just enough
to cover the link.  This lets some other digis be used for
other posibilities..

Or something like that...

Bob

>>> Wes Johnston <wes at kd4rdb.com> 12/22/04 1:46:19 PM >>>
I know what you mean about short Istates.... SC I-26 is one I consider
short
too... granted it is 220 miles long and just barely goes into NC, but
when I
think LNKn-n, I think I-95 and I-10.  However, I am not in a position
to know
about everyone's circumstance, so I included some that I wasn't sure
of... it's
the reason I listed the mileage in the table.  Perhaps a disclaimer is
due
regarding shorter stretches?

Wow, I had no idea there were so darned many interstates!

Wes
--

Quoting Robert Bruninga <bruninga at usna.edu>:

> Wes,
> On your page of interstate and digis settings, you mgiht
> want to add the ,30 to each of the UITRACE entries.
>
> Also, I did not plan to encourage LINKn-N's for short
> interstates. (example of 68, or I-97 in Maryland).
> becuase the entire length of 68 interstate can be covered
> with 3  digis or so, and also that remote area may better
> be covered by WIDEn-N.  For short interstates, it is un-likely
> that anyone would change their path just for that.
>
> Similarly I-97 is also too short and surrounded by other
> digis and paths.  Though if there are enough digis, it
> doesnt hurt, but just wanted to remind people that the
> objective was not neceaarliy to"cover" every numbered
>  interstate, but rather to cover the corridor's of travel and
> just conviently use the interstate number as a way to
> remember it.
>
> Glad to see others working on this plan
> thanks
> bob

> Hmm.. I thought you could digi through any assigned alias on the
TNC.