[aprssig] Solar Powered Digi

James Jefferson Jarvis jj at aprsworld.net
Wed Dec 22 10:34:17 EST 2004

Ryan - I have two solar powered weather stations. There power budget would
also support them being digipeaters, so I guess they qualify.

One is located on an island in Lake Superior. You can see it at:
http://jamesj.jarviscomputer.com/gallery/madelinewx

It consists of:
50 watt PV panel (ASE, I think)
2 x 105 amp/hour marine deep cycle batteries
Morningstar Sunsaver-6 with low voltage disconnect
KPC-3
Yaesu FT-1500M

Note that I use the marine deep cycle batteries because I had them, not
because they are any good. The low voltage disconnect is essential for the
system. If you don't have LVD you can run your batteries down to a point
where the charge controller won't operate to charge your batteries. I've had
this happen twice at other locations. It's not a good feeling finding your
battery bank at 1.86 volts instead of 14.

The other is located in Winona County, Minnesota. You can see it at:
http://jamesj.jarviscomputer.com/gallery/wiscoy

Uni-Solar US-32 thin film PV panel
1 x 48 amp hour Concorde AGM battery
Morningstar Prostar 12 with low voltage disconnector
KPC-3
ADI AD-400HP 70cm 5watt walkie-talkie

When designing a stand-alone system, at least here in the midwest, plan for
having a week or more without solar input. Also design it to not discharge
your batteries more than 20%. If you go to full discharge every night your
batteries will last 100 cycles, if you go to 80% SOC (ie you've used 20% of
available stored power) your batteries will last about 3000 cycles or more.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have. I'm sure there are others
on the list (Brian Riley and others) that can also help you out.

-Jim KB0THN