[aprssig] Tracker serial port usage

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Mon Dec 20 18:58:16 EST 2004

I'm thinking of modifying the OpenTracker design so that it provides the
1-wire bus signal and possibly a +5v supply as well on the DB9 used for the
serial port.  I'm curious if anyone knows of any other non-standard uses of
these pins in the packet world that I should be aware of.

Since DTR on pin 4 is already used for power in or power to the GPS (in both
the OpenTracker and TinyTrak, at least), RTS on pin 7 would probably be the
safest bet for an output.  The point is to avoid having to connect a 1-wire
weather station (or any other 1-wire instrument cluster) to the board's pin
header.

Right now there's no need to hook up both a 1-wire system and serial port at
the same time, though that could be handled with a custom cable.  That might
be necessary if I ever get around to having the OpenTracker output a
standard datalogger format from the weather station, but so far no one's
suggested a format to use.

Suggestions?

Scott
N1VG