[aprssig] USA Map of new n-N paradigm

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Dec 20 12:12:44 EST 2004

>>> bruninga at usna.edu 12/20/04 11:49:49 AM >>>
>3) WIDEn-N will continute to be surpported in those wilderness
>areas that have fewer than an ALOHA capacity over several
>states or digis.

Just for grins, I took a stab at what us Easterners might consider
to be the WIDEn-N "wilderness"...:

http://www.ew.usna.edu/~bruninga/aprs/map-newN.gif

Are there any cities in those vast Plains States that are being
overloaded by WIDEn-N and will want to firewall WIDEn-N just
around their cities but leave it WIDEn-N the rest of the state?
Denver comes to mind.

But remember, that once we stop the HIGH POPULATION
areas from using WIDEn-N, then those packets wont get
to you, so once they are cut-off by a firewall, then the
vast plains might be able to support WIDEn-N just fine?

Bob

>I still want the ability to go around the USA, using a path of
>RELAY,WIDE2-2 (or similar) and be able to use the system.

That is a fair path.  RELAY,WIDE,WIDE should work
everywhere and give you those 3 hops and be traceable.
But it will generate more dupes than RELAY,##LNKn-N.

Actually, it is hard for me to imagine anywhere in the USA
that is not 3 hops or less from a big city where there is
*or*should*be* an IGate.  I guess what I am asking is that
we concentrate on getting the data where it needs to
go, rather than FLOODING everyone with the old WIDEn-N
shotgun approach..

You truckers know where the holes are.  Let us know and
then the burden is on us to fill them...

Thanks for the feedback.

de Wb4APR, Bob