[aprssig] BIG-TALL digis that hear FAR too MUCH!

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Dec 14 12:14:51 EST 2004

When I suggest moving the output of a BIG-hear-too-much
digi to UHF, I am not proposing a common UHF freq.  IN
fact, the opposite.  It should be a locally coordinated
packet frequency just for this digi.  It will be 100% busy
anyway, so there is no way to share it like we do 144.39.

It is where you go to listen if you want to hear what the
big digi is hearing (or put an IGate listening there).  Nothing more.
Unless you want to then put  up a central BIG-BIG digi to
listen to the several separate 100% UHF channels and then
combine all that into a single UHF channel at 9600 baud
that now has all the traffic from the surrounding 4 BIG digis.
etc...  but again, all UHF channels are independent and
serve onlyone digi so they dont have to use up 50% of
channel capacity by digipeating back onto 144.39.

Bob

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> As we all know by now, any digi that can hear more than
> about 60 users is definately going to suffer real reliability
> issues for any stations other than the strongest and closest
> (who step all over the weak guys)...
> (not even countiing all the other digis it hears!)

After looking at the page, one of the suggestions was to put part of
that
traffic onto UHF.

Do we have a set UHF frequency?  We've discussed this before in the
past.
We have an APRS voice calling frequency for UHF IIRC.  However, do we
have
a frequency to use for data?  If we don't have a 144.39 equiv UHF then
I'm
not ready to start advocating or pushing UHF.  For starters I'd rather

avoid QSY'ing down the road if possible.  Likewise, it'd help to have a

this freq is set aside for UHF APRS, much like 144.39 is.  That way if

there are conflicts there is at least some aspect of coordination.

Sean...

--
The punk rock will get you if the government don't get you first.
	--Old 97's