[aprssig] HAAT calculators

stanzepa at earthlink.net stanzepa at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 14 11:12:37 EST 2004

>From the July 2, 2004 installment of Surfin':

"Way back in the March 3, 2001, this column described the HAAT (height above average terrain) on-line calculator that was available at the FCC Web site. Shortly, after that column appeared, this valuable tool was taken off-line for maintenance and three years later, it is still off-line. I get an e-mail approximately once a month asking about that column. So, let me bring you up to date on the HAAT calculator story.

"If you use a computer that runs Windows, check out the Radio Mobile Web site(http://www.cplus.org/rmw/english1.html). It is free software developed by Roger Coudè, VE2DBE. It calculates HAAT, as well as generates radio coverage maps. I highly recommend it. The software is a little daunting to use, but there are excellent instructions on the Web site and if you follow them closely, you will succeed

"If you live in New England, i.e., 1-land, i.e., the six states in the upper right corner of the USA, the Amateur-Radio.Net Web site (http://www.amateur-radio.net/haat.html) has an on-line HAAT calculator, but it only works for stations in Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island and Vermont.

"The Connecticut Spectrum Management Association Web site has a semi-automatic on-line HAAT calculator (http://www.ctspectrum.com/calcHaat.htm). I call it "semi-automatic" because you must use topographical maps to extract the data that you input into the calculator, whereas the old FCC and current Amateur-Radio.Net calculators automatically extract the data from a database after you enter the latitude and longitude."

- Stan, WA1LOU