[aprssig] bad PHG, or lots of big towers?

Steve Dimse k4hg at tapr.org
Tue Dec 14 10:34:20 EST 2004

On 12/14/04 at 9:23 AM Jason Winningham <jdw at eng.uah.edu> sent:

>Looking through the data Bob posted I find 46 digis with advertised
>heights of 5120ft (a mile!) and 140 with heights of 2560 ft.
>
>Are there 186 towers over half a mile high with digis on them?  Are
>there even 186 towers over half a mile high in the world?
>
>Or are there a bunch of operators who don't know the difference between
>height and altitude?
>
>OK, the last one was rhetorical, but the first two were serious: are
>there really that many tall towers around?

The number is height above average terrain...so mountain height must be figured
in also, and in most areas is the primary determinant. Second, the spec is open
to interpretation...where is the line between H of 8 and 9...I see three
possible interpretations:

2561 (one more than 8)
3840 (halfway between 8 and 9)
5179 (one less than 9)