[aprssig] bad PHG, or lots of big towers?

Earl Needham needhame1 at plateautel.net
Tue Dec 14 10:31:31 EST 2004

At 08:23 AM 12/14/2004, Jason Winningham wrote:
>Looking through the data Bob posted I find 46 digis with advertised
>heights of 5120ft (a mile!) and 140 with heights of 2560 ft.
>
>Are there 186 towers over half a mile high with digis on them?  Are there
>even 186 towers over half a mile high in the world?
>
>Or are there a bunch of operators who don't know the difference between
>height and altitude?
>
>OK, the last one was rhetorical, but the first two were serious: are there
>really that many tall towers around?

         I can answer about a couple of them in my area.  GALPK, CAPTAN,
COWMTN, and most others in New Mexico are actually on mountain tops.  They
MIGHT have a 20-foot mast the antenna is mounted on.  I'm most familiar
with GALPK, having been up on that mountain several times.  That mountain
is odd -- it's the only one there, and the height shown on Findu for GALPK
is fairly close, too.  The next nearest mountain is many miles away.  It's
almost as if it was put there just to hold radio antennas!  <G>

         7 3
         Earl

Earl Needham, KD5XB, Clovis, New Mexico  DM84jk
<http://kd5xb-2.no-ip.info>