[aprssig] BIG-TALL digis that hear FAR too MUCH!

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Dec 14 10:06:25 EST 2004

Earl,

Sorry, I may have confused everyone.
That list was a list of ALL digipeaters in the world (with PHG)
The only digis that may have a problem are the ones
that hear too many stations.(>60 or so)...

I made the list so that everyone could see if their
digi appears to have a problem or not.  I will
rename the list so that it is not considered a
"bad" list but a list of all digis from which one
can look at the USER column and decide
if it is overloaded or not.

Any digi that can hear more than 60 or so
other stations is going to have more than
a 100% saturated channel and cannot possibly
serve locals reliably,...

Thanks for pointing this out...
de WB4APR, Bob

At 07:43 PM 12/13/2004, Robert Bruninga wrote:
><snip>
>These digis are doing nothing but ruining reliability for
>the users in range.  It is far better to let the lower
>more local digis handle the local users and for the
>big mountain top one to cease QRMing the channel.
>or at least put its output over onto a UHF channel
>so those that want to hear the mess can monitor, but
>at least those packets dont reduce the channel capacity
>in the other several thousand square miles by 50%
>by its digipeating!
>
>If this data is innaccurate for your digi, then please fix
>your claimed PHG range to better match reality.

         Bob, I looked and found the digi that is closest to me,
MELROZ.  Are you saying this digi should have it's range restricted in
some
way?  There IS no smaller, more local digi to me, it isn't on a
mountaintop, and if that digi wasn't there, I wouldn't see anything
except
via the internet.  Here's the listing for MELROZ, directly from
http://web.usna.navy.mil/~bruninga/aprs/digiphgr.txt .

MELROZ     PHG4530   28   19

         Actually, I found every digi within about 150 miles of me in
your
list.  Yep, all six of them were listed.  No, I can't hear them all,
just
two of them, and one of those is intermittent.

         Are you sure this is what you want to say?  If we continue
down
this path, the possibility exists that you will shut down MANY APRS
users
out west.  Possibly what you say has merit where you live, I know the
activity there is just incredible compared to here, but in my part of
the
world, we depend on a digi being able to get a signal to the next one.

         7 3
         Earl

Earl Needham, KD5XB, Clovis, New Mexico  DM84jk
<http://kd5xb-2.no-ip.info>