[aprssig] BIG-TALL digis that hear FAR too MUCH!

W0pc at aol.com W0pc at aol.com
Tue Dec 14 07:42:28 EST 2004

Bob,

Have you looked at the "William Hepburn's VHF/UHF Tropospheric Ducting
Forecast" found at: http://home.cogeco.ca/~dxinfo/tropo.html? Some part of the
country experience enhanced band conditions from time to time. Are you suggesting
that Digis be turned off during periods of enhanced band conditions? During
those times, my Digi will hear more than normal. The time you extracted the data
from FindU must have been during especially good conditions for my area.
Normal number for my Digi fluctuates between 12 and 21 stations heard. That's no
where near the 85 that you reported. I have the only Digi in the county and
located in the northwest corner. There are no Digis in the counties west and north
of this area. To reduce antenna height or gain would not serve the local APRS
community.

73 de WØPC-15 (Rick)