[aprssig] Re: Balloon Altitude (was Clipped menus in Xastir andother ?'s)

Steve Dimse k4hg at tapr.org
Mon Dec 13 11:07:31 EST 2004

On 12/13/04 at 8:33 AM Larry Cerney <lcerney at viawest.net> sent:

>Maybe you could help me with a problem with your cgi script below.  We flew
>a balloon yesterday with two APRS packages on it.  The first package,
>AE0SS-11 reports correctly with the last=9999 as it hadn't been seen by
>FindU until yesterday.  My package, K0ANI-11, I had tested in my yard 30
>feet away from my I-gate antenna and so FindU has a good base of altitude
>data.  When I use the cgi below with last=9999 it works fine.  When I try to
>change it to last=24 or last=0024 I get an error message.
>"The image "http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/altitude.cgi?call-k0ani-11&last=24"
>cannot be displayed, because it contains errors."
>
>I just tested a few last='s and found that it does work starting at
>last=1400.  Strangely, with last=1390 it only shows the downward slope.

First the above URL is incorrect, it is call=k0ani-11, not call-k0ani-11,
however even fixing this gives an empty graph, because k0ani-11 has not sent a
position in the 24 hours. In fact, the last position was October 16. I'll leave
it for someone else to double-check the conversion to hours, but two months is
pretty close to 1400 hours...

>I'm assuming the last= refers to hours, not minutes.  I that correct?

yes, but perhaps somehow you got the idea it is last hours it transmitted, not
last from the current time. All the cgis that accept a last are referenced to
current time. In fact now last=1390 fails, but 1391 gives the part of the flight
above 50k. By the time you read this, it will be different...

Steve K4HG