[aprssig] Base antennas and a couple other questions

Josh Keller jeepin95 at comcast.net
Fri Dec 10 21:15:28 EST 2004

Earl Needham wrote:

> At 06:42 PM 12/10/2004, Josh Keller wrote:
>
>> Seeing as how I am the most familiar with radios in my SAR group I
>> have been assigned to come up with a few different things they want
>> to purchase. I'm fairly new to all this radio stuff so I don't know a
>> whole lot about it, which is why I'm asking here. Most of our
>> searches are in the Columbia River Gorge and on Mt. Hood in Oregon.
>> The terrain for those who don't know is fairly dense forest, 800'
>> cliffs, plenty of vallys, etc. "Flat" isn't in our vocabulary.
>>
>> There are 3 different things they are wanting to get setup, I'll
>> start with what is probably the easier...
>>
>> #1) We were given a Kenwood TK-790/890 110W VHF/UHF radio for use as
>> a base station. For this my task is to get an antenna. The
>> requirements here are that it needs to be relativly portable as it
>> will be packed away in a trailer after each mission. It should be
>> relativly easy to setup so that almost anyone can throw it up in the
>> air. It also needs to be omnidirectional. Our primary frequency is
>> Oregon State SAR 155.805Mhz FM.
>

>         How about mounting the antenna to the trailer so it's ALWAYS
> ready?  No setup required, just park the trailer and turn the rig on.
>
>         7 3
>         Earl
>

> Earl Needham, KD5XB, Clovis, New Mexico  DM84jk
> <http://kd5xb-2.no-ip.info>

The main reason for that is that the trailer may not always be
available. The trailer will probably have 1/2 wave whips on it for quick
setup, they are looking more for something we can put 30' up in the air.
We have alot of the military surpluss sectional antenna masts that they
would end up going on, sorry for forgetting to mention that.

I've been looking at some of the Antenex units, does anyone have
experience with those? In particular I've looked at the Voyager and
Fiberglass Omni models (FG1520 and VG1502). Both seem pretty simple and
straightforward to put up. What type of gain should I be looking for?

Thanks again,

Josh