[aprssig] Droping WIDEn-N does work!

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Thu Dec 9 10:41:31 EST 2004

>>> <dick at kb7zva.com> 11/22/04 12:45:24 PM >>>
>But [after droping WIDEn-N flooding] to also support W2-2
>and W3-3 locals, we added those starting paths into the
>UIDIGI alias list so that mobiles using a "decent path" of
> W2-2 or W3-3 will get out.
>
>UIDIGI ON RELAY,WIDE,WIDE2-2,WIDE3-3

This is brilliant!
1) It completely squleches out of area WIDEn-N QRM
2) Yet it allows passing through mobiles that are set to
    respectible W2-2 or W3-3 to still get out their first hop!
3) and as long as "this" digi with this setting can hit
   at least ONE WIDEn-N digi somewhere, then their
   packet will continue onward
4) It discourages anything over W3-3, by simply ignoring them!

I love it.  SImple, and it works. and can be implemented
NOW by any remote-sysop where it is needed.
This set up is ideal for a digi that is one hop beyond the
fringe of a major metro area.  Droping the WIDEn-N
entirely acts as a firewall against the propogation of
long distance and unwanted WIDEn-N QRM while still
passing "decent" mobiles passing through.

de WB4APR, Bob