[aprssig] Xastir and a proxy?

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Tue Dec 7 11:27:45 EST 2004

On Tue, 7 Dec 2004, Mark A. Lewis wrote:

> Is there a way to tell Xastir (on Linux) to use a proxy to fetch maps? I
> have it installed here in the office, but it is kinda bland with no
> maps.

There's no way that I know of to do so.  We've never been asked for
that before, best that I can recall.  Not that this is a direct
solution to your problem, but read on.

I don't understand the "no maps" thing.  The 'net-based maps are a
small part of Xastir.  Download maps and use them directly.  We
support darned-near all maps out there that are free.  Try
PocketAPRS/WinAPRS/DosAPRS maps for a start, then branch out and try
some of the nicer stuff out there, like Tigermaps in Shapefile
format or topo maps.

Back to the original question, if someone can point me to a simple
library for doing TCP/IP proxies, I can look into it.  Are there
more than one type of proxy that one might need, or will one
solution fit all?