[aprssig] APRSPoint

Mark A. Lewis mark at siliconjunkie.net
Thu Dec 2 15:34:36 EST 2004

Yes, I have run it on Windows successfully, using the good documentation
that comes with Xastir.

>The old appliance operator vs. home-built discussion?

To some degree. Some things I don't mind having to tinker with to get
working, others I want to just work. I took a while the other day to get
Xastir running on Windows with cygwin, it was a good learning
experience, and Xastir does have a lot of very powerful features, and I
have been debating using it as a i-gate and using the snapshot feature
to generate a static map of stations heard. It has it's place in my
shack, just not as my mobile/day to day APRS application.

>Pick something that makes sense to you, whether that's the map data,
the APRS client, or the OS.

Very wise words! Use what you are comfortable with, it will serve you
much better.

What I would like to see, and it may already exist, is some better
documentation on how to get the maps you want into Xastir, where to get
the needed files, that sort of thing. I confess, that I have not read
everything included in the documentation, so it may very well be there.

Who knows, after some more tinkering, I may grow to like Xastir more.
Stranger things have happened.