[aprssig] APRSPoint

Wes Johnston aprs at kd4rdb.com
Wed Dec 1 23:31:22 EST 2004

Ummm.... Here is a shapelib for Houston TX...
ftp://ftp.mapshots.com/tiger/Texas/TGR48225.zip  .

You can install mepis linux (www.mepis.org) from a "live cd" in 15 to 30
minutes, once it is running on your HD, you can install xastir with the
following commands:
  su (super user mode)
  apt-get update
  apt-get install xastir
Now, simply unzip the TGR48225.zip file into the maps directory, and run xastir.
 You will have to tell xastir to index all maps so that it will find the new
ones you just added.  But even if you don't add any maps, out of the box,
xastir will display teraserver photos, tiger maps,and topo maps from
internet... if you happen to be connected.

Total time for a complete O/S install and xastir install for me was 35 minutes
with a 500mhz PC.  More like 15 minutes with my 2.8gig desktop PC.

Xastir reads 126 map formats, including WINAPRS and DOSaprs maps.  What more
could you want?  If you complain about inaccurate maps, the problem is the
source data, not xastir.  Check with your local GIS department for the latest
shapefiles for your county.  My local GIS has been able to provide me with
color photos which far exceed those on microsoft teraserver... you can
literally see the individual shingles on the roof of my house.

Wes