[aprssig] Hidden tracker with laptop access

Wes Johnston aprs at kd4rdb.com
Wed Dec 1 16:01:53 EST 2004

I just read the manual, and it is a very impressive product!  As I read it, I
kept asking myself: Why didn't Kantronics do that?  Running a tracker while in
KISS mode on the serial port is AWESOME... and flash upgrades... wow.

There are a few things I do see missing though...
DIGIWIDEn and DIGITRACEn commands only turn on/off, they do not allow you to
select the actual callsign for WIDE or TRACE.  Here in the states we are
implementing STn-n (where ST is the two letter state abbreviation, or other
names such as I95n-n).  It would sure be nice if we could have 4 or 5 callsigns
to use under DIGIWIDEn.  I agree with Bob's suggestion also... we should have a
N limit.

I didn't see in the book but does this TNT use a checksum to prevent digipeating
a packet two times?... within 30 seconds?

I see that there is a digital I/O pin on pin3 of the mic connector.  It would be
really nice if that pin could function as a DCD indicator.  If we use this TNC
in a mic-e repeater application, we need to be able to mute the audio going to
the repeater controller.

All in all, a very nice looking unit!
Wes
Wes