[aprssig] Hidden tracker with laptop access

Stephen H. Smith WA8LMF2 at aol.com
Wed Dec 1 02:53:07 EST 2004

Stephen H. Smith wrote on 11/30/2004, 11:30 PM:

 > The new AGW pocket-sized USB-interfaced TNC has the ability to operate
 > as a stand-alone tracker or digipeater, or act as a full TNC when
 > conected to a computer.  It's USB interface would be an advantage for
 > newer "legacy-free" laptops with no serial ports. I don't know anything
 > whether it can do smart beaconing or Mic-E format however.   More info
 > here:
 >       http://www.elcom.gr/index.htm

Just downloaded the manual for the AGW device.  It DOES do Mic-E and
smart beaconing, and apparently in a forthcoming firmware release will
be able to be a stand-alone smart APRS digipeater somewhat like a
UI-DIGI-firmware-equipped TNC2.   Also capable of KISS mode operation
which means it will work very nicely, directly with UI-View or APRSplus.

Nice power options also: Powered off the PC USB port when plugged in,
from an internal rechargable Mn-NiH battery, or from an external DC
source.

Looks like a hell of a lot of capability in a very small box.

Stephen H. Smith                wa8lmf (at) aol.com

Home Page:                      http://wa8lmf.com

New/Updated Symbols for         http://members.aol.com/wa8lmf/ham
UI-View and APRSplus: