[aprssig] Weather report with status

Scott Miller scott at opentrac.org
Wed Aug 25 14:08:08 EDT 2004

What's the best way to report status/comment text with a weather station?
I'm still working on 1-wire support for the OpenTracker, and at the moment
I've got freeform text plus battery voltage and board temperature reported
in a separate status packet every n transmissions.  The only problem with
this is that neither FindU nor aprsworld seem to report status text in their
weather views.  Xastir shows both, albeit in its usual hard-to-read manner.
UI-View32 displays it just fine.

Support for the standard 1-wire sensors is ALMOST working correctly now.
The wind in my lab is apparently gusting to 62 mph today, though, which
isn't a good sign - yesterday the same electric fan was putting out a steady
7-8 mph breeze.

I think the whole setup should be a contender for the lowest-power APRS
weather station.  The 3" square test board has integrated radio power
control, so average power consumption depends a lot on how much the radio is
on.  With an upgraded regulator and power save mode enabled, consumption at
idle should be under 5 ma at 12 volts - should work quite well on a small
solar panel.  The test station is N1VG-4 if you want to check it out.  I
might bring it along to DCC if anyone's interested.

Scott
N1VG