[aprssig] Re: turn-key GPS

KC2MMi kc2mmi at verizon.net
Wed Aug 4 18:25:10 EDT 2004

<What's today's best APRS choice for an embedded GPS
module at low cost?   It wIll be in another enclosure, so
I only need the basic module.  I will add a 1/4 wave GPS
whip if attached antenna is not included.  LOW POWER
is important.>

Bob-
 For cheap, DeLuo selling the SiRF modules. They will sell bare modules, no
case, with onboard patch antenna and/or external antenna socket. I've never
seen a "1.4 wave gps antenna" only patches and such, not sure what you mean.

 For low power, the Garmin 18, which uses 1/2 the power of the DeLuo. That's
a huge difference.

DeLuo also are somewhat disorganized, unable to supply cables, etc., and
their modules need a metric wire connector--not readily found here--unless
you plan to solder directly to them.