[aprssig] Should I develop an embedded I/F to Davis WX?

J. Gary Bender, WS5N WS5N at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 3 13:02:03 EDT 2004

I just ordered a WeatherLink 5.4.  I don't feel like dealing with the serial
interface hardware problems for now.  This version is supposed to have APRS
output, so I might be home free (probably with a PC, though).

8K of program space should be plenty, but the 192 bytes of RAM might be a bit
too tight in your current OpenTracker.  Your next increment, with 512 bytes,
should be plenty.  Is there a UART available for receive?  Or enough horsepower
for a bit-banger?

Looks like my embedded device will be more appropriate to replace a KPC3+ in the
i/o chain.  Allowing me to use an old TNC from the junkbox.  A Davis-to-APRS
data translator module would be pretty easy as an interim step.  It could make a
VantagePro+DataLogger look more like a PeetBros, providing an APRS output
without a PC.

All I have found is the protocol to talk to the Data Logger.  I have not yet
tried to get more info from Davis directly with email.  I am facing a conflict
between wanting to get something running quickly, and wanting to create a fun
little gizmo.

I'll have a 30 watt solar panel on this baby, so a little PC might be an option.
 I'd be more inclined to use an old Palm, however.
--
J. Gary Bender
Tijeras, New Mexico USA