[aprssig] what is RELAY, WIDE, TRACE, etc?

Sean Jewett sean at rimboy.com
Mon Aug 2 16:10:01 EDT 2004

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004, Jason Winningham wrote:

> On the other hand, I see practically no traffic from the Nashville area
> even when I drive around 840, so I wonder if it's because of terrain or
> if APRS in that area has already reached critical mass and imploded.

Couple of things:

There are terrain issues, presumably on parts of 840.  However, there
should be areas of coverage.  W4GGM-1 is in Columbia.  NT4L-3 is a RELAY
only digi in Franklin.  Those should provide some coverage in areas
close to I-65 along 840.

NT4L-1 is on Short Mountain.  It's quite a distance away from 840 no
matter what but is a monster in terms of coverage.  I'd like to get
something in Murfreesboro doing RELAY only for those stations needing the
extra push to Short Mountain.  That said there should be some low profile
stations that should be helping out.

Helping make the jump to Huntsville will be the KF4TNP-1 digi when it goes
back on the air.  You'll see more traffic from Nashville then you'll ever
want once that digi is back on the air, I know we'll see plenty from
Huntsville when it's running.  I'm hesitant to see what might be available
for 840 until TNP-1 goes back on the air.  From there we can figure out
what the coverage issues may be.

APRS in Nashville has hardly reached critical mass and imploded despite
the configuration issues of the W1ARN-1 digi.  If we can ever get that
thing configured properly it'll be a miracle.  Nothing QRM's like the
highest digi in the area with an unproto path of RELAY,WIDE (amonst others
that all begin with RELAY).

Sean...

--
The punk rock will get you if the government don't get you first.
	--Old 97's