[aprssig] Should I develop an embedded I/F to Davis WX?

J. Gary Bender, WS5N WS5N at mindspring.com
Sun Aug 1 23:59:33 EDT 2004

You might have put your finger on the most likely "gotcha", Jim.  The Data
Logger is a hardware item that is hidden in the software listings for the Davis
Vantage Pro.  Looks like it might be a case of having to buy their $150
WeatherLink software in order to get the hardware so my $35 device will work.
At that point, their software has done most of the fun stuff.

I'll wait until my weather station shows up this week and see where to go from
there.  I don't see the Data Logger sold separately.  If the standard hardware
has a serial port onboard, and one of the Data Logger's functions is to make it
RS-232 compatible, there still may be hope.

My gizmo won't have the storage on board to make files, but I can probably
generate data records in WXNOW.txt format.  But to make it useful, you'd need a
bigger computer to monkey with it.  That defeats the purpose of what I want to
accomplish.  A nifty standalone APRS/WX system with a little bit of
intelligence.
--
J. Gary Bender
Tijeras, New Mexico USA