[TangerineSDR] PSWS Magnetometer beginner question

Kim, Hyomin hyomin.kim at njit.edu
Wed May 29 13:34:18 EDT 2024

Yes, the TAPR kit includes the PNI module.

Re the sensor location, yes, any moving magnetic object can be detected. If
the driveway is quiet, it may be okay. Please note that the phenomena that
we are interested in are on the order of tens of minutes to hours. So if
you anticipate that only several cars drive in and out, it shouldn't be a
big issue.

Hyomin
[image: NJIT logo] <https://www.njit.edu/> *Hyomin Kim, PhD*
Assistant Professor
Physics
Center for Solar-Terrestrial Research
Institute for Space Weather Sciences
hmkim at njit.edu • (973) 596-5704
https://web.njit.edu/~hmkim/
104 Tiernan Hall, 161 Warren Street, Newark, NJ 07102

On Tue, May 28, 2024 at 3:25 PM Hugh Blemings <hugh at blemings.org> wrote:

> Hi Hyomin, Thank you for the quick reply! Ok on the TAPR kit, that was my
> preferred route so it's good to know that's still current. Am I correct in
> understanding then that the TAPR kit also includes the PNI module? A
> question on location please
>
> Hi Hyomin,
>
> Thank you for the quick reply!
>
> Ok on the TAPR kit, that was my preferred route so it's good to know
> that's still current.
>
> Am I correct in understanding then that the TAPR kit also includes the PNI
> module?
>
> A question on location please - I understand the need to be distant as
> possible from sources of interference, how about a driveway or (fairly
> quiet) road - is there passing of a car or truck likely to have a
> measurable effect on data gathered?
>
> Thanks again
>
> Vy73
> Hugh
>

> On 29 May 2024 5:18:05 am AEST, "Kim, Hyomin" <hyomin.kim at njit.edu> wrote:
>
>> Hi Hugh
>> Yes we do recommend the low cost, easily accessible magnetometer (RM3100
>> by PNI). You can get the whole, plug and play (almost) package sold at
>> tapr.org
>> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__http://tapr.org__;!!DLa72PTfQgg!IOC87AH5gS9hr2wWH91WHiigA6vDO9XMV33Ujei6lWtjWn1aP-njYTxXfp7om5yPsvgFVTkIqim0Sh6T$>
>> (called MagPi). The only user supplied item is the sensor housing for
>> ground burial. Please refer to the website to get an idea how to build one.
>> Please let me know if you have any questions.
>>
>> Best wishes,
>> Hyomin
>>
>> Hyomin Kim
>> Assistant Professor
>> Physics
>> Center for Solar-Terrestrial Research
>> Institute for Space Weather Sciences
>> hmkim at njit.edu • (973) 596-5704
>> https://web.njit.edu/~hmkim/
>> 104 Tiernan Hall, 161 Warren Street, Newark, NJ 07102
>>

>> On Tue, May 28, 2024 at 2:48 PM Hugh Blemings via TangerineSDR <
>> tangerinesdr at lists.tapr.org> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Apologies if this is the wrong forum for this question. . . I'm
>>> looking at setting up a home magnetometer station ala the HamSci article
>>> <https: //hamsci. org/node/547> Is the RT3100 module from PNI and the
>>> accompanying TAPR boards still
>>> Hi
>>>
>>> Apologies if this is the wrong forum for this question...
>>>
>>> I'm looking at setting up a home magnetometer station ala the HamSci
>>> article <https://hamsci.org/node/547
>>> <https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://hamsci.org/node/547__;!!DLa72PTfQgg!P0-h69BpT34MNmAvsOvA80-Eaty9hlxg2-qtIzVJyvQ4z3aocp-E0JUsUPMqS62ELMXzJdFe_Q2bYooUruPKxFFd$>
>>> >

>>> Is the RT3100 module from PNI and the accompanying TAPR boards still the
>>> recommended starting point?
>>>
>>> Am I correct in assuming it's worth getting a genuine eval board from
>>> PNI rather than a clone from (say) AliExpress?

> [...]
>>> Hugh