[TangerineSDR] Expanding local workspace for Magnetometer Raspberry Pi's

David Witten wittend at wwrinc.com
Fri Jul 26 14:26:52 EDT 2024

Magnetometer users,

This is a note that I sent to a user who ran out of space on a local SD
card in a Raspberry Pi that uploads magnetometer data to the Linode server.

*Anyone using a Grape or Grape2 who might have similar concerns should
consult with John Gibbons first as these instructions are inappropriate for
those settings.*

*No, the upload process is not set to delete log files once they are
> uploaded.  *
> But the SD cards can be as big as Raspberry Pi OS will support.
> I recently purchased some Samsung PRO Endurance 128GB SD cards for my home
> doorbell camera.  Those should work for a long time in this setting.
>

> You should be able to use Raspberry Pi Imager or some similar tool such as
> Balena Etcher (or lots of other things) to make a backup image to a local
> .iso file.

*Keep that and the original SD card somewhere safe.*
> Then use the same tool - (RPi Imager, etc.) to 'restore' that file to the
> new larger SD card.
> Put the new card in the RPi and boot it and make sure that it works
> correctly
>

> Check with 'df -h' of the file manager that the entire space is usable.
> It may not be.
> If not, use some tool that will resize the filesystem to use the entire
> space on the card.
> I usually use gparted, but that may have to be installed using 'sudo apt
> install gparted'.  There are other tools that may be more familiar to Pi
> users.
>

> Once the File System is expanded, reboot and make sure everything works.
>
> Let the system run for 12 hours or so and be sure that any old log
> files have been transferred that were missed in the past. (Compare to
> https/picomation.org/JennyJump/
> <https://picomation.org/JENNYJUMP/JennyJump/>)
> Now you can use gzip or some other tool to compress the existing files.
> You can then delete the existing files with names ending in '.log' (only if
> you want).
> That should provide LOTS of space.
>

> But be sure and check it often at first and every couple of weeks in
> perpetuity if you don't want to lose data.
> If is OK, it should be possible to use compression tool

Dave Witten, KD0EAG