[TangerineSDR] Update on testing RTLSDR and KA9Q-radio

Tom McDermott tom.n5eg at gmail.com
Wed Sep 20 14:37:21 EDT 2023

After a lot more experiments, here's an update on the multicast packet drop
issue when using ka9q-radio.

The multicast RTP stream rate is about 12 Mbits/sec (192 ksps IQ one RF
channel).  The client RTP
software replaces the data from a dropped packet with the (apparently)
correct number of zero-value samples when
it recognizes a dropped packet. This prevents wild excursions in the client
received data rate.

The Raspberry Pi 4 was replaced with a core i5-11500T running Ubuntu 22.04
(much more powerful).
This did not change the 0.1% packet loss rate issue.   However it did solve
the problem of the R Pi 4 not
being able to talk very well to the client core i7 (sink) with a directly
wired Ethernet connection.
The i5-11500T runs clean to the client with iperf3 both directions under
all conditions tested
(no packets lost for big bursts at line rate (about 940 Mbits/sec). It
should be noted
that this iperf3 test uses TCP to IPv4 LAN addresses (i.e. 192.168.x.x).

WIth a hard wired direct connection between the client and server there is
no multicast packet loss.
When using either of two Ethernet switches the loss rate is ~0.1% (with
statistical variation).
This is at a net data rate of 12 Mbits/sec. All the links are GbE.

When source and sink are on the same computer it works without packet loss
(via 127.0.0.1).

Based on limited research it appears that packets in the multicast address
range might be considered
exception packets by many switches. These packets are diverted from the
switch's fast-path (hardware)
to the slow-path (software) for inspection in case they are IGMP packets,
even if they are not.
The switches lose ~0.1% regardless of whether IGMP is enabled or disabled.
If the (relatively slow)
switch processor can't keep up, it likely discards the packet.

The switches were tested with only 2 ports UP, all the other ports
physically disconnected (DOWN).
This ensures that there are no WiFi links anywhere connected, and that
there is no other management
traffic traversing the switch, and IGMP doesn't have to deal with flooding
congestion (since one does not flood
a DOWN link).

The source is not dropping packets according to tshark when the switch is
used, but the sink is
dropping them.

-- Tom, N5EG