[TangerineSDR] [HamSCI] Lightning Stroke/TLE Analysis with VLF Receiver (Post with Missing Images)

Jonathan emuman100 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 16:26:37 EST 2023

Gerry,

No worries. Why do you prefer to use TDOA instead of TOGA?

Also, how does one characterize the stroke in VLF? Will looking at the
analytic magnitude indicate anything?

In vlfrx-tools software, lightning location works in the following manner:
the utility vttoga will identify impulsive signals and measure their TOGA
(whether they are sferics, rain static, or local interference). It can also
measure other parameters, such as ground wave and sky wave identification,
analytic magnitude, frequency spectra, and unwrapped absolute phase. Still,
vttoga just sees the impulse. To determine whether it came from a stroke or
some other interference source, vttoga data from multiple receivers
(including lat/long coordinates of the VLF receivers) is fed into the
utility vtspot which computes a solution for the stroke using
trilateration. Rain static and local interference won't yield a solution,
but sferics will if it's within a location between the VLF receivers.
vtspot is not perfect, but it generates pretty accurate solutions when fed
with good data. You can read about how to use vttoga and vtspot for
lightning location here
<http://abelian.org/vlfrx-tools/notes.html#Lightning%20location>. The hope
is to build a dense network of VLF receivers for an overdetermined
solution, but this will be volunteer based, so it'll take time to build.

Using VLF receivers with vlfrx-tools, do you feel it would be a good start?
With the signal processing utilities available in vlfrx-tools, I think
quite a lot can be done.

Jonathan
KC3EEY