[TangerineSDR] [hamsci-grape] Re: [HamSCI] Power Outage Detected by VLF System

Jonathan emuman100 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 10 21:59:53 EST 2023

Here on the day of the annular eclipse, powerline hum levels were low
enough that the 180 Hz harmonic seemed to have exhibited ionospheric
propagation. Notice the drop in amplitude at dawn. To me, this shows
daytime D layer absorption as seen in other signals:
You'll also notice a slight decrease in absorption during eclipse time
which is expected.

As time went on, background hum levels increased, so this ionospheric
propagation can't be seen on those days. Here is a plot of the last 60 days
since the eclipse showing an increase in power levels of the 180 Hz
harmonic:
Despite this, you can still see some cyclic nature from diurnal to diurnal
that could indicate ionospheric propagation. The break in the data was when
there was an issue with the system.

Jonathan
KC3EEY