[TangerineSDR] Possible Lightning ELVES Detection

Jonathan emuman100 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 3 10:08:33 EDT 2022

Hi All,

A lightning ELVES event was visually observed in Kansas on May 31st, 2022
and posted in a Facebook group:
[image: ELVES 2.png]

A negative 333kA stroke occurred which generated it. I believe I captured
the sferic from that stroke based on the time indicated:
[image: ELVES 1.png]
Due to the VLF system having a malfunctioning GPS, the best I can do is NTP
time, but the offset from actual UT is still pretty minimal. A
characteristic of an ELVES if it has a "continuing current" is the ELF tail
observed directly after the sferic, as seen in the plot I captured. The ELF
tail is described in this paper
<https://www.researchgate.net/publication/251436491_Evidence_for_continuing_current_in_sprite-producing_cloud-to-ground_lightning>.
>From what I understand, not all ELVES events have a continuing current. I
have observed that these ELF tails ring out longer the longer the
propagation distance. This can be seen in these plots
<http://abelian.org/vlf/retrieve.php?ts=2022-05-31+07%3A43%3A28.7&len=.1&vlf1=on&vlf15=on&vlf34=on&vlf35=on&vlf38=on&vlf41=on&vlf44=on&format=td&submit=+Proceed+>
of worldwide VLF receivers. The top two plots are VLF receivers in England
and Italy, respectively. The receivers in Europe (top two plots) seem to
have bigger ELF tails, which is expected.

What do you all think? A possible ELVES detection?

Jonathan
KC3EEY