[TangerineSDR] Magnetometer/Grape Raspberry Pi Image

Jonathan emuman100 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 31 21:00:42 EDT 2021

Bill,

If I remember correctly, you used a GPS hat for the Raspberry Pi on
the Magnetometer/Grape system. Is this true? If so, which one do you
use?

The reason I ask is that there was a bug in gpsd that caused the GPS
date to be erroneously reported as March of 2002 once October 23th
2021 has passed. This has been fixed and you are encouraged to update
to gpsd version 3.23.1. To do so, do a git pull of the gpsd
repository, then type "git checkout release-3.23.1", then "scons -c &&
scons && scons install".

Details about the bug can be found at:
https://gitlab.com/gpsd/gpsd/-/issues/144 or LWN, El Reg, or CERT
write ups.

As of this email, version 3.32.2 is the most current, but there is a
bug that prevents using the GPIO PPS with another serial device than
/dev/ttyAMA0. Most GPS hats use /dev/ttyAMA0, so you can do a git
checkout and build/install of gpsd, but since I use /dev/ttyAMA0 for a
serial console (I still believe in out-of-band access), I utilize
/dev/ttyUSB0 from a FT230 USB serial interface IC that my GPS serial
port connects to, which then connects to the Pi USB port. In this
configuration, version 3.23.2 of gpsd cannot use the /dev/ttyUSB0
/dev/pps0 runtime option and capture PPS asserts/clears from the
pps_gpio driver. But, most GPS hats and users don't use this
configuration very often, so you won't be affected. A fix for this
issue will be pushed to the gpsd repository soon.

I owe a huge thanks to the primary maintainer of gpsd for working with
me to get both issues resolved, as well as support for the Trimble RES
SMT 360 timing receiver and Solaris 10 support.

Jonathan
KC3EEY