[TangerineSDR] Testing magnetometer with nearby RF

Bill Engelke bill.engelke at ua.edu
Tue May 25 12:01:10 EDT 2021

I have a TAPR magnetometer in the ground (sitting at 24" deep).

I have tested for RF exposure as follows:

80 M dipole, about 20' away and 15' elevation,  1500 W on 80M
30 M vertical, about 60' away  200W (legal limit) on 30M
40 M double bazooka about 50' away and at 30' elevation, 1500 W on 40M
DX Engineering hexbeam, on 50' tower, base of which is 70' away, 1500 W on 20M, 17M, 15M, 12M, 10M
4-element 6 meter beam on 50' tower which is about 70' away, 500 W on 6 M

There was no discernable effect on magnetometer readings from any of these tests, which were a carrier for 10 seconds at the noted power level.

If anyone has ideas for additional tests, please advise; based on the above, my impression is that the current magnetometer should produce good results when in the yard of typical ham installation.

-73-  Bill,   AB4EJ

Magnetometer installation:

[cid:image001.png at 01D75155.4428E600]