[TangerineSDR] 4 meter band in the gap

Phil Erickson phil.erickson at gmail.com
Fri Mar 19 09:18:55 EDT 2021

Hi all,

  Sorry that I haven't been able to attend too many of the telecons.  Many
different responsibilities make it hard but it is not for lack of
interest!  I hope that will improve.

  In the HamSCI workshop today, Scotty WA2DFI is describing the current
TangerineSDR state and mentions the Analog Devices chip at the core of the
PlutoSDR as a potential add-on board for VHF, UHF, and higher.

  Just a note that I believe the lower limit of that chip is 70 MHz and in
Europe, there is a 4 meter band (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4-meter_band)
which could land in the dead zone between the 60 MHz top frequency of the
core RF board and an add on.  I wonder if that thought had come up on the
lists so far, so I'm throwing it in here for consideration when people
think of add-ons.

  In particular: "ECA9: CEPT administrations may authorise all or parts of
the band 69.9-70.5 MHz to the amateur service on a secondary basis."  So
the lower edge of that might fall into the guard band attenuation area.

  (I have not been following the Analog Devices development schedule, but I
suspect that the great popularity of the PlutoSDR in a number of different
contexts might lead them to develop something with a lower cutoff that
would erase the gap.)

73
Phil W1PJE

--