[TangerineSDR] Fwd: Fwd: magnetometer data file

David Witten wittend at wwrinc.com
Mon Jan 18 15:11:15 EST 2021

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: David Witten <wittend at wwrinc.com>
Date: Mon, Jan 18, 2021 at 10:42 AM
Subject: Re: Fwd: magnetometer data file
To: John Gibbons <jcg66 at case.edu>, Dr. Nathaniel A. Frissell Ph.D. <
nathaniel.frissell at scranton.edu>
Cc: Julius Madey <hillfox at fairpoint.net>, Dave Larsen <kv0s.dave at gmail.com>

John, et al,

Part of the 'problem' here is that we do not have uniform terminology, and
also that we are discussing two different programs that I'm writing.
None of this impacts the design of the current Grape project.

I have one program which creates an executable called 'runMag' that is the
original testing code.
The other program is 'runRM3100' and makes an effort to follow the Grape
project metadata and file storage scheme.
Both are command line only and are written in pretty portable C.
They are meant to be straightforward, and I deliberately have avoided any
cleverness.

The runMag program  makes no pretense of storing significant metadata and
uses a different file name format for the saved data.
This is what Jules, Dave Larsen, Hyomin, and I are using to capture output
'logs'.
I am making very few changes to this at the present time, because I'm busy
elsewhere.
But I did push a version 0.0.15 to GitHub last night to try to clean up the
CSV output format somewhat for Jules and others.
The JSON code definitely needs to be re-tested.
And i might have even introduced an error in the way the data is adjusted
for averaging in the ASIC device.
This needs to be checked, but I don't have time today.

The runRM3100 program is almost done, but has a number of 'fiddly' aspects
that take time to implement and test.

LATER, both programs would benefit from some rework on the i2c code and on
the way that measurement interval is implemented.
In particular, jitter in the measurement interval needs to be investigated
under high CPU load.

Metadata in this context seems to refer to a number of different things:

   - The information that is concatenated into the filename used for
   storing the daily files that capture measurements. This is different
   between the two programs, but not wildly incompatible.
   - The layout of a group of folders or directories that hold all of the
   data related to the Grape project.
      - These folders contain input to the program to direct its operation.
      - They also contain information about a specific site or node that is
      incorporated into the header of the output.
      - They also include work space where data is collected and stored.
   - The layout of header info and data within the files that contain the
   collected values.

To respond again to Jules's original request, all of these issues in the
runMag program either have been or will be addressed promptly, however you
wish them to be done.

All of the work on the runRM3100 is done with the intent that it will
maximize compatibility with the current and future Grape architectures.
All of this work is done with full knowledge that most of these matters
will be mooted by the use of a Digital RF format for all output from the
project.  Eventually.

Dave Witten, KD0EAG