[TangerineSDR] [EXTERNAL] Simple question regarding time stamps

Engelke, Bill bill.engelke at ua.edu
Tue Sep 22 17:21:25 EDT 2020

Hello Phil:
This could be the subject of a week-long workshop; but I will tell you how I have been coding it so far, using something that works nicely with DRF as it is today.

When the user tells the system to start data acquisition, the Data Engine is to wait until the exact top of the next second to begin collecting data (plus or minus a few nanoseconds, anyway). Then, the unix time is passed as a uint_32 (unix time being an integer second like 1633795200, which is about 4 PM today). I plug that into the global_start_sample in digital_rf_create_write_hdf5 (as modified by sample rate numerator & denominator, which usually work out to 1). This single time stamp is used from then on, assuming that the DE clock is totally accurate. I think this is what you describe in your email; I like the simplicity of this, and I hope we can continue to use it.

-regards- Bill AB4EJ