[TangerineSDR] Nils Reviews the RX-888: A Sub $200 16-Bit 32 MHz Bandwidth SDR

Phil Erickson phil.erickson at gmail.com
Mon Sep 7 08:03:13 EDT 2020

Hi all,

  I also found the following:

- This one has a 20 dB LNA that is permanently switched on (dynamic range /
compression?)
- From one post/review: "The LTC2208 is a very old part and so it shows up
in equipment found in the electronic scrap markets."

My colleague Ryan Volz, co-maintainer of Digital RF, reports:

- SDRC, the software which is reported to work with the boards, is closed
source freeware available on Windows only:
https://www.sdr-radio.com/download. I can't find definitive information on
the driver for this thing, but it's likely also Windows-only, for now.
- No Gnuradio / OsmoCom stack exists at the moment.
- Since these radios are derived from an originally open design, it looks
like the driver was adapted from the open ExtIO Windows driver as well,
which can be found here: https://github.com/ik1xpv/ExtIO_sddc.

The fact that this ecosystem is based on hardware clones of another design
is a concern.  The NanoVNA world is now very confusing with all the clones
being offered, and not all of them are well engineered or perform to spec.
Caveat emptor.

73
Phil W1PJE

----