[TangerineSDR] Ferrous Metal connectors on Mag boards and SBCs

Scott Cowling scotty at tonks.com
Sun May 31 17:03:03 EDT 2020

Hi Dave,

No one is excluded from the design process, especially you from the
magnetometer.

I have sent out two schematic revisions, XA1 (April 24) and XA4 (May 4),
to numerous people, including you.

I have received multiple suggestions from you, Dave N1HAC, Jules K2KGJ,
John N8OBJ, and Gerry N5JXS all with valuable insights.

I have sent no updates since then, but that does not mean I am excluding
anyone.

The design has evolved (as has just about everything on TangerineSDR and
PSWS). Most of the evolution of the magnetometer board has come as a
result of your original design(s).

We originally had a PMOD design (my request). You pointed out the
problem with 5V power and 3.3V signalling on the PMOD connector.

You showed, with your design, that we would not be able to shrink it to
a PMOD form factor. Hence the larger board.

You showed that it would work at the end of 100 ft of cable. Then Jules
showed that it could work a 400 ft.

I added the Lightning detector and DRDY signalling and packaged it as a
Pi Hat.

Gerry and Nathaniel subsequently talked me out of the lightning
detector, and the board went back to just a magnetometer.

I changed the addresses to allow magnetometers on both ends as an option
(that will probably never be used), but this does not make them
incompatible with your boards. It is simply a software feature that
needs to be added to accommodate both designs.

Per Jules' recommendation, I added more bulk capacitance. I left the
series inductor in place, but if it causes too much ripple on the 5V
line, we can replace it with a zero-ohm resistor.

I will check the BOM for ferrous material in the connectors, as recommended.

As for the jumper in the shield, that was there from day 1 as an option.
If disconnecting it causes a problem, leave it jumpered in. If
connecting it causes a problem, jumper it out.

By the way, I have not contacted Becky from PNI on any issues, because I
did not need any additional information from her. You asked the
important questions and got answers, so I think we are all set for
production quantities.

I will be sending out the latest plots and schematic out shortly for any
additional comments, in case I missed any suggestions.

73,
Scotty WA2DFI